01372 452 608 info@grangecentre.org.uk

History of The Grange Site

Home » History of The Grange Site

Published in the Leatherhead And District Local History Society Newsletter of November 2013 this is a short history of our site, by David Hartley.

Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.

Marriage banns of Thomas Seawell to Mary Newcome 14th December 1786

Portrait of Mrs Mary Seawell of Great Bookham in 1792 – painted by portraitist John Downman (1750 – 1824) who “In 1786 he held an exhibition of his work at his house in Leicester Square where, in the words of a visitor, his work was ‘universally admired and sought after by the first people of rank and fashion.’ And no wonder, for he had an extraordinary facility and could make a plain girl look like Venus herself!”

P.Mitchell, An Introduction to Picture Collecting, 1968

Click on photos to enlarge.

The Gentlemans’ Magazine

Mary Newcome was the granddaughter and daughter of Henry 1 and Henry 2 Newcome, headmasters of the the Newcome School a fashionable boys’ school in Hackney, then to the east of London, founded in the early 18th century.  It became the largest and most fashionable of all 18th-century private schools.

Engraver Richard Gibson Reeve

To view information about the coat of arms of Thomas and Mary Seawell that was discovered in The Grange walled garden visit: Seawell Coat of Arms

Skip to content