We’re looking for volunteer workers who can spend time with a person with a learning disability, helping them with all aspects of eating well – from menu planning to cooking and freezing meals to finding healthy alternatives for snacks.
People with learning disabilities want to eat healthily but it’s difficult to know what to choose in the supermarket and all too tempting to opt for a quick but calorific snack.
Could you pair up with a person living at The Grange, get to know them and their key worker then work 121 with them in their flat on all aspects of healthy eating? Some people want to lose weight while others need to put on a few pounds.
The sessions can take place during the day or the evening or at weekends.
To provide support, encouragement and advice for people supported by The Grange on all aspects of healthy eating, including:
- Cooking alongside people we support in their own flat and demonstrating meal ideas
- Helping individuals understand the benefits of healthy food habits
- Building greater understanding of food hygiene and health and safety in cooking and food storage areas
- Helping people plan menus and budget for their shopping
- Suggesting healthier options for meals, snacks and drinks
You will receive full training and support from our staff:
- Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Healthy Living Co-ordinator
- Support Workers in Supported Living and Residential Care
- Understanding of healthy living principles and practice
- Experience of working in nutrition would be an advantage
- Confidence to work on own initiative
- Good communicator, able to use simple and concise advice and instructions
- Clean and tidy worker, ensuring good hygiene
- Discretion in dealing with sensitive information
Experience in the care sector or an understanding of the need for policies and procedures would be useful as would willingness to read policy documents.
Half a day per week: timing completely flexible – daytime, evenings or weekends to suit.
If specialist training would be beneficial in carrying out the role, The Grange will consider paying for this.
If you would like to chat to our Volunteer Co ordinator, contact Karen Pinchbeck via the form below or call Tel: 01372 452 608